In the XII Kratovo had become a mining centre, thanks to the experienced Saxon, i.e. from Saxony, presumably from Flanders, miners who came to activate the mine. The importance of Kratovo can be judged through the visit of Sultan Murat who together with his army headed towards Kosovo, but stayed in Kratovo in order to visit the already famous town of gold and silver. In the past, on both sides of Tabacka River that flows through Kratovo, there have been 12 towers – 5 on the right-hand side and 7 on its left-hand side. Of those, there are only 6 left as of today and some of them partly, but some of them are completely ruined.
Location: Kratovo and Surroundings
Duration: 1 day
Term: all year long
Group Size: min. 2
Departure point: Skopje (can be arranged on booking)
Tour technical difficulty: easy
The tour includes: Transportation, lunch, refreshments during the travel, full escort by professional tourist guide, all sightseeing’s (with entrance fees included)
Necessary equipment: comfortable walking shoes
Price per person: On request and depending of the number of participants
08:30 Departure from Skopje
10:00 Arrival in Kratovo
The museum in Kratovo was established in 1993 and it is consisted of four departments, including archaeological, historical, ethnological and conservation. The museum has two permanent exhibitions, one of ethnological object and the second one – historical setting “Kratovo throughout the centuries”.
The Churches of Kratovo
From around 20 churches present in the city in the time of the Ottoman rule, today in Kratovo are remained only three:
- St. Nicolas the Miracle worker – renovated in 1848
- St. John the Baptist – renovated in 1836
- St. George of Kratovo – located in the old cemetery
The Bridges of Kratovo
The Kratovo bridges are another characteristic of this town made by old masters.
The Monument of St. George of Kratovo
St. George of Kratovo is symbol and patron of the city and the municipality, which is celebrated on 24th February.
13:00 Monastery St. Gavrill Lesnovski
It is considered that the donor of the church Holy Archangel Mikhail is the despot Jovan Oliver who built this church in 1341 on the foundations of an older basilica from the time of the anchoret Gavril. This monastery complex is comprised of church, tower-belfry, storage building with several subsidiary premises and the renovated konaks (mansions) built in the 19th century.
15:30 Departure towards Skopje
17:00 End of the tour